© 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 Herbal Extract Company of North America. All rights reserved.
Calcium is the most abundant mineral in the body.
The average-size adult body contains two to three pounds of calcium.
The bones and teeth contain 99% of the body's calcium, while the remaining 1% is in the blood and other body fluids, and within cells.
Cancer: A high-calcium diet might help prevent colon cancer.
High Blood Pressure: Optimal calcium intake might lower high blood pressure.
Osteoporosis: Calcium deficiency is the greatest dietary cause of osteoporosis. Taking the recommended amounts of calcium during childhood and teen years helps lower the risk of developing osteoporosis later in life.